Waffles of Insane Greatness with Fresh Strawberry Compote
These Waffles of Insane Greatness are crispy on the outside, but also, light and airy on the inside thanks to the baking powder and cornstarch.
Fresh Strawberry Compote
Many recipes for Waffles of Insane Greatness are out there on the interwebs. My version comes with a Fresh Strawberry Compote topping that comes together pretty easily.
- Sliced strawberries
- Pinch of salt
- Strawberry jam
- Fresh lemon juice (to bring out the flavors)
You May Also Like
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toss strawberries , sugar and salt in a medium bowl and let sit until the
strawberries have released their juice and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 minutes. Toss occasionally to combine.
- Process jam in a food processor or blender until smooth about 10 seconds, then transfer to a small saucepan. Bring jam to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until dark, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, then pour the warm liquid over the strawberries and stir to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well. Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your waffle iron. If your waffle iron is prone to sticking, use non-stick spray. However there is enough oil in the batter that most waffles irons should not need to use a spray. Follow the instructions for your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve with Fresh Strawberry Compote or real maple syrup.
Store finished waffles in a 200 degree preheated oven on a baking sheet in a single layer while you finish making the remaining waffles.
Cook time and waffle count will vary depending on your waffle maker.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 451Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 626mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 7g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*