It may still be 100 degrees outside, but I can’t wait any longer for fall! I’m ready for the cool and sunny days with the wind blowing through my hair and low humidity. Let’s not forget the aroma of apple, cinnamon, pumpkin and allspice baking away in the oven. Oh yeah I’m ready! And these Pumpkin Cupcakes with Fluffy Maple Cream Cheese Frosting is the perfect recipe to start off the baking season!
Say good-bye to those overly sweet and spiced pumpkin cupcakes. These cupcakes are lightly sweetened with just 7 tablespoons of sugar. A simple spice blend of cinnamon, allspice and ginger helps bring out the flavor of the pumpkin instead of hiding in a mix of spices.
Moving on to the fluffy and light cream cheese frosting. This Fluffy Maple Cream Cheese Frosting is made with a mix of cream cheese and butter, and sweetened with pure maple syrup.
To finish these off, I sprinkled a little pumpkin spice and added some maple pecans.
You May Also Like:
- Cupcake pan
- 9 cupcake liners
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 7 tablespoons (3 ounces) granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Candied Pecans
- Line a cupcake pan with 9 cupcake liners and set aside. Adjust an oven rack in the center of your oven and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice and ginger. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, sugar, oil and eggs until combined. With a silicone spatula, stir in the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture until combined
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared cupcake pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Rotate the pan half way through baking.
- Let cupcakes cool in their pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert cupcakes on the wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- While cupcakes are cooling prepare the frosting. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to medium-low and add the maple syrup. Whisk until combined, about 2 minutes. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and whisk until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Prepare a piping bag fitted with a piping tip and pipe frosting on top of cupcakes in a decorative fashion. Top with chopped pecans and serve.
MAKE AHEAD: Unfrosted cupcakes can be made up to 3 days in advance, stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Frosting can be made up to 3 days in advance, stored in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature (about 1 hour), then whip on medium speed until smooth.
STORAGE : Store frosted cupcakes in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 6g