Pancakes are probably my favorite thing to eat for breakfast. Anytime my husband and I go out for breakfast you can pretty much bet I am ordering pancakes. Which is exactly what I order at First Watch.
Unfortunately I don’t live next to a First Watch location anymore so before me and my husband moved, we ate there one last time. Luckily, they had just come out with their own cookbook!!! Talk about perfect timing. Now I could have my favorite Multigrain Blueberry Pancakes whenever I wanted!!!
One thing they didn’t put in their cookbook was their berry compote so I made my own to go with this recipe.
You can make the compote with fresh or frozen berries and you won’t need syrup for these pancakes if you’re serving with berry compote.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it! Tag The Cake Chica on Instagram @thecakechica1 #thecakechica1
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 cups mixed berries fresh or frozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoons flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 3 eggs, whipped
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the orange juice, sugar and rum to a boil. Stir in the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl to dissolve. Add the cornstarch mixture to the orange juice mixture and boil until it’s slightly thickened, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add the berries and reduce the heat to medium and stir until the berries are softened and heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Heat a griddle over medium heat or 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, oats, cornmeal, flax seeds and sesame seeds until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, evaporated milk and water until combined.
- Slowly pour the flour mixture into the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Mixture will be thick. Add the melted butter and whisk until just incorporated. Do not over mix. It’s okay of some flour bits remain.
- Pour about ¼ cup batter on to a heated griddle and sprinkle a few blueberries over the top of each pancake. Cook for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side or until done. Remove the pancakes from the griddle and place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and keep warm in the heated oven while you continue to cook the remaining pancakes.
- Serve with mixed berry compote.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 476mg Carbohydrates: 59g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 35g Protein: 6g
You May Also Like: