Cream of Tomato Soup
This classic Cream of Tomato Soup will be ready in 30 minutes, but tastes like it took hours to make! Then, the soup is topped with fresh tomatoes, parsley and a swirl of cream.
How To Neutralize The Acid In Tomatoes
Tomatoes are acidic, so if you’ve ever had a tomato soup that tasted a bit sour, chances are it may not have had sugar or baking soda in it. Just a pinch of sugar and baking soda help bring out the flavor of the tomatoes while neutralizing their acid.
How To Puree Tomato Soup
You can either use a food processor or blender to puree this soup. Depending on the size of your blender or processor, this could take 2 to 3 batches. Be sure to keep a bowl on hand to hold the pureed soup while you puree the remaining soup from the Dutch oven. If you have an immersion blender you can puree the soup right from the Dutch oven.
You May Also Like
- Dutch oven
- Food processor, blender or immersion blender
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-28 ounce canned organic whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups organic heavy cream
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- Chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a Dutch oven or saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, beef stock, sugar, salt, baking soda, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a food processor or blender, (in 2 to 3 batches) cover and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the Dutch oven and stir in the cream. Cook on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes but do not boil. Divide soup into bowls and garnish with chopped tomatoes, parsley and a swirl of cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 482mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*