I am trying to enjoy what is probably the last few weeks of cooler weather here in Houston with some belly warming soups. This past week I had a craving for some good ole’ fashioned comfort food! My choice….. Cream of Tomato Soup. Pair it with a grilled cheese and ham sandwich and you have a soul-warming meal.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-28 ounce canned organic whole peeled tomatoes, not drained
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups organic heavy cream
- 1 medium tomato, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Heavy cream
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat melt the butter. Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, beef stock, sugar, salt, baking soda, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a food processor or blender, cover and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and stir in the cream. Cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes but do not boil. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped tomatoes, parsley and a swirl of cream.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 86mg Sodium: 855mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 8g Protein: 1g
Adapted from The Ultimate Soup Cookbook