Fideo is one of my favorite comfort foods. This Chicken and Fideo Soup is very similar to my grandma’s Fideo recipe, but in soup form!
My husband absolutely LOVES this soup! I love that it’s so easy to prepare. And it’s one of those heart warming meals that always makes you feel good, just as comfort food should.
As I mentioned above, this one is super easy to make, and a great recipe to use leftover chicken. If you use left over chicken or a rotisserie chicken, you can skip the “Chicken” part of the recipe and head right to the “Soup” section.
This soup is great on it’s own, but I like to have a little fun and add toppings such as queso fresco, avocado, lime and tortilla strips.
Recipe adapted from William Sonoma Soup of the Day by Kate McMillan
- Olive oil spray
- 1 pound chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 ounces fideo noodles
- 1 medium organic onion, chopped
- 4 organic garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- ½ chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 6 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 avocado, seeded, sliced and peeled, for garnish
- 4 ounces queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Adjust a rack to the center position in the oven and heat to 375 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil (for easy clean up). Spray non-stick olive oil spray on top.
- Place chicken breast on prepared baking sheet and salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breast. Bake chicken in the oven until cooked, about 20 minutes. Shred chicken with two forks and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add fideo and cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Do not burn. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, tomato paste, chipotle and stir to combine. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shredded chicken, cilantro, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Serve immediately and garnish with avocado, queso fresco and a lime wedge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 579Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 2533mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 49g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it! Tag The Cake Chica on Instagram @thecakechica1 #thecakechica1
You May Also Like: