Easy Seafood Stew
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The name says it all! This is a quick and Easy Seafood Stew you can make on a weeknight. And it’s the perfect soup for dipping crusty bread into.
The original recipe for this stew called for calamari, but I was having a hard time finding it. I did find calamari steak but it didn’t give the stew any texture, I also tried bay scallops which actually worked pretty well. But, I felt like it was still missing some substance.
So when I stumbled upon a seafood mix, which was a blend of mussels, shrimp, octopus and squid I had to try it! It was the perfect texture and blend of seafood in every bite.
How To Roast Bell Pepper
Adjust and oven rack about 5 inches away from the broiler. Heat the broiler on high. Cut the bell pepper in half lengthwise and remove seeds and stem. Place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet and broil until the skin blisters, about 6 minutes.
Remove from the broiler and lightly cover with foil to steam for about 10 minutes and peel skin.
This recipe uses freshly roasted bell pepper, but as a substitute you can use jarred roasted bell peppers in a pinch.
Not only is this easy to make, but another advantage about this stew is you can freeze it! Just add the seafood mix right before serving because the seafood mix only takes a few minutes to cook and if the seafood gets over cooked it becomes rubbery.
Using the seafood mix is my favorite, but you can also use calamari, mussels, shrimp and clams in place of the frozen seafood mix. You can also use canned seafood as well, a mix of clams, oysters and shrimp would be a great substitute if you can’t find frozen seafood mix.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 4 organic garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seed and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped organic basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped organic oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 pound frozen seafood mix
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes, broth, and bell pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and oregano and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the seafood mix and stir to combine. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and serve with crusty bread.
How To Roast a Bell Pepper: adjust an oven rack 5 inch from broiler and heat broiler on high. Cut the pepper in half lengthwise and remove seeds and stem. Place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet and heat until the skin blackens, about 6 minutes. Remove from the broiler and cover loosely with foil and let steam and cool for 10 minutes. Peel skin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 94mg Sodium: 1829mg Carbohydrates: 25g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 12g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 30g
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it! Tag The Cake Chica on Instagram @thecakechica1 #thecakechica1
You May Also Like: