I wouldn’t call this recipe for Lightened Up Brownie a la Mode a healthy one, but it is…what I would call the lesser of the evil.
This brownie is incredibly rich and chocolaty. You would never know it’s a lightened up version. I switched out the granulated sugar with coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is low on the glycemic index and contains more nutrients and has 16 amino acids making this a healthy indulgence you can feel good about.
Egg whites, applesauce and just 3 tablespoon of unsalted butter make up this Lightened Up Brownie a la Mode. But you can’t have Lightened Up Brownie a la Mode with out the ice cream right? So I’ve paired this recipe with my favorite healthy ice cream Halo Top Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!
Lightened Up Brownie a la Mode Tips:
1. Be sure to test the brownies while baking them. Over baking will make them dry and crumbly.
2. For that right-out-of-the-oven experience, microwave the brownie for about 15-30 seconds.
I’ve linked several ingredients in my recipe to Thrive Market. I’ve been a Thrive Market member for about 2 years and can’t recommend them enough!!! They’ve got the cheapest prices around for organic, non-GMO, gluten-free and all kinds of healthy eating habits! Check them out for yourself by clicking my affiliate banner below!
- 1 9-inch square baking pan, lined with foil and sprayed with baking spray
- Rubber spatula
- Hand mixer
- ½ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose organic flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large organic egg whites
- ½ cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups Halo Top Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Homemade Magic Shell (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Maraschino cherries (optional)
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar with a rubber spatula. With a hand mixer, beat in the brown sugar, egg whites, applesauce and vanilla one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition
- Stir in the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool in the pan on a rack for about 5 minutes, then invert to a rack and peel off foil. Invert again and cool completely. Cut the brownies into 2-inch squares.
- Place one brownie on a dish and scoop about ¼ cup Halo Top ice cream on top. Drizzle with Homemade Magic Shell, sprinkles and a cherry if using. Serve immediately.
- Storage: Wrap brownies in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or freeze, wrapped with plastic wrap twice. Then bring brownies back to room temperature before serving.
Contains 5g sugar alcohol from Halo Top Ice Cream
Storage: Wrap brownies in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or freeze, wrapped with plastic wrap twice. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 317mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 6gSugar: 31gProtein: 8g