Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
I wouldn’t call this recipe for Lightened Up Brownie a la Mode a healthy one, but it is…what I would call the lesser of the evil.
This brownie is incredibly rich and chocolaty. You would never know it’s a lightened up version. I switched out the granulated sugar with coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is low on the glycemic index and contains more nutrients and has 16 amino acids making this a healthy indulgence you can feel good about.
Egg whites, applesauce and just 3 tablespoon of unsalted butter make up this Lightened Up Brownie a la Mode. But you can’t have Lightened Up Brownie a la Mode with out the ice cream right? So I’ve paired this recipe with my favorite healthy ice cream Halo Top Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!
Lightened Up Brownie a la Mode Tips:
1. Be sure to test the brownies while baking them. Over baking will make them dry and crumbly.
2. For that right-out-of-the-oven experience, microwave the brownie for about 15-30 seconds.
You may also like Reduced Sugar Blueberry Muffins, Healthier Chocolate Coffee Cake, or Protein Packed Chocolate Pudding. Don’t miss a recipe when signing up to my newsletter the Monthly Recap! I’ll send one email per month with all the latest recipe links for that month that you may have missed. Sign up in the form below this post! And as a thank you, you’ll receive my ebook The Cake Chica’s Top 10 Recipes of 2015 with Step by Step Photos for FREE! Or follow on social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Yummly!
I’ve linked several ingredients in my recipe to Thrive Market. I’ve been a Thrive Market member for about 2 years and can’t recommend them enough!!! They’ve got the cheapest prices around for organic, non-GMO, gluten-free and all kinds of healthy eating habits around! Check them out for yourself by clicking my affiliate banner below!
Lightened Up Brownie a la Mode
Yield 9 servings
- ½ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose organic flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large organic egg whites
- ½ cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups Halo Top Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Homemade Magic Shell (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Maraschino cherries (optional)
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar with a rubber spatula. With a hand mixer, beat in the brown sugar, egg whites, applesauce and vanilla one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition
- Stir in the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Cool in the pan on a rack for about 5 minutes, then invert to a rack and peel off foil. Invert again and cool completely. Cut the brownies into 2-inch squares.
- Place one brownie on a dish and scoop about ¼ cup Halo Top ice cream on top. Drizzle with Homemade Magic Shell, sprinkles and a cherry if using. Serve immediately.
- Storage: Wrap brownies in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or freeze, wrapped with plastic wrap twice. Then bring brownies back to room temperature before serving.
Contains 5g sugar alcohol from Halo Top Ice Cream
Storage: Wrap brownies in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or freeze, wrapped with plastic wrap twice. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 50 mg
Sodium 317 mg
Total Carbohydrates 53 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars 31 g
Protein 8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.