Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
This is one of those meals that takes me back to my childhood. My mom would always make sloppy joes because they were easy and affordable. For mine, I use organic ground beef or grass-fed beef and use organic ketchup as well as organic veggies just to keep out any unnecessary additives. I usually try to make my recipes with as little processed ingredients possible, but I have a special place in my heart for Coca-Cola!
Growing up this was my soda of choice, and now that I am all grown up I seldom drink it, but I do collect all things Coca-Cola!!! From the tin signs, the Christmas polar bear, Coca-Cola dishes (pictured here), Coca-Cola town square to my Coca-Cola Christmas tree that I put up every year.
And any time I do use or drink Coca-Cola I go for the Mexican coke from Mexico. It’s made with real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup and in my opinion tastes exceptionally better. Mexican coke can usually be found in the international foods aisle in your grocery store if you want to give it a try.
Adapted from Coca-Cola Refreshing Recipes Cookbook
Coca-Cola Sloppy Joes
A comfort food favorite made with ground beef, vegetables and Coca Cola!
- 1 pound organic ground beef
- 1 organic onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup organic green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Mexican Coca-Cola
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon organic Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons organic dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Hamburger buns, toasted
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat until cooked through. Remove cooked beef and drain excess fat. Add onion and bell pepper to skillet and cook until onions are translucent. Add cooked beef back into skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients, (except buns) and stir until combined. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve meat mixture on hamburger buns.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 535Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 912mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 37g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*
You May Also Like:
Chocolate Fudge Sheet Cake
Coca Cola and Kahlua Float
Spiked Shirley Temple
Thalia @ butter and brioche
Tuesday 28th of July 2015
I never have had a sloppy joe before but these look awesome and so comforting. I have to try the recipe out.
Tuesday 28th of July 2015
Oh yum! This looks so so good! My mom makes her pulled pork BBQ with soda, so I can only imagine how good these joes would be with coke in the recipe!