Valentine’s Day is just around the corner! This year make your Valentine a homemade treat perfect for the occasion. Or even better, make a date out of it and bake these Red Velvet Cakelets together! It’ll be fun I promise!!!
These Red Velvet Cakelets are big enough to share, but I won’t tell if you eat one all by yourself. It will be hard not too. They’re super soft and light and have a slight zing from the buttermilk that adds a whole other flavor dimension. A cream cheese frosting tops these cakelets perfectly, made with a mix of butter and cream cheese you can’t go wrong with this one!
Red Velvet Cakelet Tips:
- Keep your wet ingredients at room temperature, (butter, eggs, and buttermilk) this makes it easier to mix together; which helps to keep you from over mixing.
- For the frosting, be sure not to over mix when you add the cream cheese. Over mixing will cause the frosting to thin.
- Easy decorating tip: Use candy melts in red or pink and melt according to package directions. Pour melted candy melts in a piping bag and snip a tiny hole at the bottom of the piping bag (no piping tip needed) and on parchment paper or wax paper, pipe “Love” or hearts or anything you like to top your cakelets. Wait for them to dry and stick them on top for a fun and festive garnish.
- 2 6-cup jumbo muffin pans
- Jumbo cupcake liners (optional)
- Stand mixer
- or Hand mixer
- Piping tip (optional)
- Piping bag (optional)
- Heart sprinkles (optional)
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract with 3 tablespoons red liquid food coloring
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 16 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare jumbo muffin pans with jumbo cupcake liners, or spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa, and salt. Set aside until needed.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl and hand mixer), cream the butter, sugar, oil and emulsion on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and mix for about 20 seconds in between each addition, and scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. With the mixer speed on low, add 1/3 of the flour mixture until just combined. Pour in half of the buttermilk and stir until combined. Repeat this process until all of the flour and buttermilk have been added.
- In a small bowl, whisk the baking soda and vinegar together and quickly whisk into the batter. Pour batter in each muffin cup about two-thirds full.
- Bake cakes on the center rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the cakelets cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert cakelets on to the wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed for 5 minutes with an electric hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment). Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice and salt and mix on low speed to combine.
- Once combined, increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium-low and add the cream cheese and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Do not over beat at this stage or the cream cheese will cause the frosting to thin.
- Prepare a piping bag with your favorite piping tip and fill bag with frosting. Pipe frosting on top of each cakelet in a decorative fashion. Garnish with sprinkles and a decorative cake topper of your choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 915Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 190mgSodium: 673mgCarbohydrates: 99gFiber: 0gSugar: 90gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.
You May Also Like: