It’s a new week, which means there’s a new recipe!
The anchovies in this recipe are in the dressing, which is processed in a food processor until smooth. If you think you’re not a fan of anchovies, I challenge you to give this recipe a try. You won’t even know they are there.
I topped this Caesar Salad with Anchovies with Parmesan cheese crisps for a little something extra. But watch out they’re addicting!
Raw Egg Yolk
This recipe uses raw egg yolk so if that is a concern for you, you can substitute with a pasteurized egg product for the egg yolk. But the salt and lemon essentially cook the egg, so as long as you are using fresh organic eggs you should be good to go.
You May Also Like:
- 2 cups day old baguette or French loaf, diced
- 4-6 heads romaine hearts, washed, dried leaves separated from stems
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 4 small garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large organic egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- Whisps Parmesan Cheese Crisps
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until dried out, about 8 minutes.
- On a large platter, arrange the romaine leaves in a single flat layer with the cut side up. Chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the dressing.
- Place the anchovies, whole garlic, pepper, egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce in a food processor and process until smooth. With the processor running, add ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil to make the dressing, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Season with salt to your taste. If the dressing is too thick you can add a few drops of water.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil with the minced garlic and toasted bread. Saute until the bread is crisped and coated with oil and garlic, stirring frequently to keep if from burning, about 2 minutes. Remove the croutons and toss with parsley and ¼ cup of the cheese.
- With a spoon, drizzle the romaine leaves with anchovy dressing, making sure it hits all the leaves. Sprinkle on the croutons, Whisps Parmesan Cheese Crisps and remaining cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 552mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*