I’ve got a super easy recipe for you this week! Oven Roasted Mussels and Shrimp Paella!
All you’ll need is a 12 inch cast iron skillet or other oven safe skillet and a few ingredients!
You can use live mussels or the precooked frozen mussels for this recipe, however the frozen precooked ones worked best for me.
For picture purposes I left the tails on the shrimp, but feel free to take them off when prepping.
Rinsing the rice helps to remove the extra starch from the rice, which can lead to clumpy grains. But don’t rinse rice if you’re making risotto or rice pudding.
You May Also Like:
- 1 pound mussels
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large organic red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 organic garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- ½ teaspoon organic red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups organic basmati rice, rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh organic parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 pound large wild shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lemon, sliced for garnish
- Adjust an oven rack to the center of the oven and heat oven to 400 degrees. Remove beards from mussels by pulling them away from their shells. Scrub mussels and rinse.
- Add olive oil to skillet and heat over medium heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, saffron and red pepper. Cook until veggies have softened, about 5 minutes. Add rinsed rice, parsley and salt and stir to combine. Pour broth over rice and form into an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Add mussels and shrimp to the pan and bake for 8 minutes. Let paella rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with lemon and parsley.
Tip: For fluffy, separate grains of rice, rinse rice in a fine mesh stainer under cold water until the water runs clear.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 305mgSodium: 2494mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 57g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*