I don’t live next to a Chipotle or Freebirds anymore so I had to create my own version of my favorite menu option at my old favorite Tex-Mex burrito restaurant.
Living out here in the suburbs of Austin, Texas I’ve had to start making my own favorites from some of the restaurants I frequented from back in the sprawling city of Katy, Texas, where I moved from. But to be honest, Chipotle and Freebirds ain’t got nothin’ on my version of this Ground Beef Taco Bowl!
Not only is this easy to make, it’s a great weeknight dinner option and it’s pretty darn impressive too!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it! Tag The Cake Chica on Instagram @thecakechica1 #thecakechica1
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups white rice
- 1 cup good quality jarred tomato salsa
- 1 cup organic reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups frozen organic mixed vegetables
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 10-ounce pack frozen organic corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup good quality jarred tomato salsa
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound organic ground beef
- 1 -1.10 ounce package organic taco seasoning
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Pour rice in a strainer and run under water until the water runs clear.
- Adjust an oven rack to the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees. Heat oil over medium heat in an oven-proof saucepan or Dutch-oven. Add the rice, stirring frequently until the rice starts to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the salsa, chicken broth and salt and stir. Then let the mixture come to a full boil.
- Cover the pan and set in the middle of the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and add the frozen vegetables and re-cover and bake for 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and stir vegetables around.
- While the rice is baking, melt butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add corn, bell pepper, zucchini, green onions and jalapeno and sauté until veggies are tender, about 6 minutes. Add salsa and cilantro and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare the ground beef according to your taco seasonings package directions.
- Divide the beef, veggies and rice among 4 bowls. Top with desired taco toppings and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 852 Total Fat: 48g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 25g Cholesterol: 140mg Sodium: 2971mg Carbohydrates: 64g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 16g Protein: 44g
You May Also Like: