Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
We all need an easy meal every now and then. Even us folks who enjoy cooking. This Easy Mexican Red Rice was an easy fix while the hubby is away on business. I didn’t want to go out, or pick something up. I wanted to cook a meal, but with not a lot of hassle or dishes. Since the person that cooks usually doesn’t have to do the dishes in my house, but that won’t fly this time.
This recipe fit the bill perfectly! With just a few simple ingredients, and practically no chopping, dinner will be on your table in no time. And with no fuss. The main shortcut here is using jarred tomato salsa. I recommend Frontera Salsa brand.
This makes an easy side dish or make it a complete meal by mixing in some rotisserie chicken like I did. I also wanted to add a little freshness to the meal. so I added some sliced avocado, fresh jalapeno slices and a lime wedge. Have you had lime juice in your rice before? I have!!! And I love it! I also add it to sour cream when I am having tacos. Just a little bit of my Tex-Mex side coming out now. Mix it all together and your easy weeknight meal is ready to devour!
- 2 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 1 ½ cups organic white rice
- 1 cup good quality bottled tomato salsa
- 1 cup organic reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups organic frozen mixed vegetables
- Sliced avocado (optional)
- Jalapeno (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Pour rice in a strainer and run under water until the water runs clear.
- Heat an oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil over medium heat in an oven-proof saucepan or Dutch-oven. Add the rice, stirring frequently until the rice start to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the salsa, chicken broth and salt and stir. Then let the mixture come to a full boil.
- Cover the pan and set in the middle of the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and add the frozen vegetables and re-cover and bake for 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and stir vegetables around. Garnish with avocado slices, fresh jalapeno or lime wedges and serve.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 357mg Carbohydrates: 62g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 5g