If you subscribe to The Weekly Recap, you know I was supposed to have this recipe up weeks ago, but life happens. However, I was determined to get this great Valentine’s Day dinner option up and ready for you to enjoy. This Easy Sausage and Mushroom Lasagna is the perfect Valentine’s Day meal. Make it with your sweetie and dinner will be ready in no time!
I’ve made this lasagna 3 times already, 2 times with spicy Italian sausage and once with mild Italian sausage and I have to say the mild sausage had better flavor. Of course it’s up to you to choose but I think the mild sausage helps the flavors shine. So skip the over crowded restaurants this year and make this Easy Sausage and Mushroom Lasagna with this Valentine’s Day Red Velvet Cake. You’ll be all set!
Follow me on social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Yummly. Also subscribe to The Weekly Recap and get the links to these recipes delivered right to your inbox once a week. Plus information on what’s coming up and sometimes some behind the scenes stuff.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces organic crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large organic onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried organic Italian seasoning
- 1 pound organic mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 organic garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 2/3 cups good quality marinara sauce (from 2 26-ounce jars)
- 9 ounce package no-cook lasagna noodles
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, divided
- 16 ounces organic Italian blend shredded cheese
- Heat an oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a sauté pan over high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and Italian seasoning and saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Remove veggies. Add sausage and saute until browned and cooked through, breaking up with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cooked veggies back to the pan and stir for 1 minute. Add wine and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, scraping up any browned bits from the pan, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Spread 2/3 cup marinara sauce over the bottom of a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Place noodles (about 4) over sauce, forming 1 layer, don’t worry if noodles slightly overlap. Spread 1/3 cup ricotta cheese on top of the noodles, followed by 1 cup marinara sauce over noodles, then 1 cup shredded cheese. Spoon 1/3 of the sausage mixture over the shredded cheese. Repeat this process 2 more times with noodles, ricotta, sauce, shredded cheese and sausage mixture. Cover with 4 more noodles and spoon remaining 1 cup sauce over top; sprinkling remaining 1 cup shredded cheese on top. Cover with foil, tenting in the center to prevent the cheese from touching the foil. Bake lasagna for 45 minutes, and then remove the foil. Bake until bubbling at the edges and cheese is browned, about 10 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 759 Total Fat: 46g Saturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 114mg Sodium: 1367mg Carbohydrates: 39g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 11g Protein: 36g
Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine November 2008