Spaghetti with Sausage and Peppers is one of my favorite pasta dishes to make. It’s one my husband also enjoys making because it is super tasty and so easy to prepare. Seriously, dinner will be ready in about 30 minutes with this one!
Italian Sausage Options
I’ve tried this meal with spicy Italian sausage, mild Italian sausage and chicken Italian sausage, all are great with this recipe. However, I prefer to use spicy Italian sausage because it adds a flavor that mild Italian sausage doesn’t have.
And if you’re looking to healthy this meal up, chicken Italian sausage is a pretty good healthy substitution.
My Favorite Pasta
I love pasta but I always try to limit my intake of it for a balanced diet. While I was browsing the pasta aisle at the grocery store one day I spotted Barilla Protein Plus pasta and noticed it was made with semolina (wheat), durum wheat flour, lentil flour, pea protein, chickpea flour, barley flour and spelt flour. But best of all, this pasta doesn’t have that cardboard taste, so I usually go for Barilla’s Protein Plus pastas. And this is not a sponsored post, I just really like the pasta 🙂
How To Make Spaghetti with Sausage and Peppers
- Cook the sausage, peppers and onions.
- Add garlic slices and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Then, let simmer until thickened.
- Prepare the pasta.
- Add pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.
The Cake Chica is on Facebook where I post sneak peeks of recipes coming up. You can also follow The Cake Chica on Instagram for beautiful food photos, as well as Pinterest for your pinning recipe needs!
You May Also Like:
Porcini Ravioli with Meat Sauce
Slow Cooker Turkey Tortellini
Weeknight Ground Beef Stroganoff
Spaghetti with Sausage and Peppers
Easy Spaghetti Sausage and Peppers made with crushed tomatoes, bell peppers and onions.
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 2 organic red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 organic red onion, halved and sliced thin
- 3 organic garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 14.5 ounce can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 14.5 ounces Barilla Protein + spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Chopped Italian parsley for garnish
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, peppers and onion over medium-high heat, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spatula until lightly browned and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the tomatoes, salt and
pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes, until the sauce has slightly thickened. While the sauce is cooking prepare the pasta.
- Fill a large pot with about 4 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt and stir. Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water and then drain the remaining water from the pasta. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to combine. Adjust the consistency of the sauce if needed with the reserved pasta water. Top with Parmesan cheese and chopped Italian parsley.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 935Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 3349mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 107g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*