When we moved from Houston to Austin late last year I lived by the slow cooker. When we arrived to our new home everything was in boxes and those boxes were everywhere in the house. Plus with a kitchen renovation in the works, I just didn’t want to unpack any of the kitchen items knowing I would have to remove them when the kitchen renovation started.
Luckily I picked up a copy of Crock Pot Recipe Collection cookbook, while I was at Bed Bath and Beyond picking up a new coffee maker for the new house. The cookbook was more of an impulse buy but I am so glad I got it. I cooked from it for weeks after we moved in.
Since I only had just a few key kitchen items out, the slow cooker allowed me to make complete meals with just a few tools. Plus with the hustle and bustle of unpacking boxes it helped time wise. I could unpack while the slow cooker did its thing and voila….dinner is ready!
This is my version of the recipe I found in the Crock Pot cookbook. You can also switch out the ground turkey for organic ground beef as well. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Turkey Tortellini
An easy meal prepared in a slow cooker. Three cheese tortellini slow cooked with ground turkey and a blend of exotic mushrooms. Perfect for weeknight meals.
- Slow cooker
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 24-ounce jarred marinara sauce
- 1 9-ounce pack three cheese tortellini
- 12 ounces exotic mushroom blend (oyster, shiitake, cremini), sliced
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Chopped Italian parsley (garnish)
- Coat the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick olive oil spray.
- Spray a 12-inch skillet with olive oil spray. Add turkey and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and using a slotted spoon, transfer the turkey to the prepared slow cooker.
- Stir in the marinara sauce, tortellini, mushrooms, water and red pepper flakes if using.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 – 4 ½ hours or on high for 30 minutes –to 1 hour. Stirring half way through cooking time. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley if using.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 610Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 1310mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 42g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*
Monday 22nd of June 2020
I loved the blog post. Thanks for sharing a helpful and informative blog.
Sunday 16th of February 2020
This is the best soup! I’ve made it for a family gathering, for a sick friend, and for myself! It is simply delicious and so easy to make! Thanks for a wonderful recipe!!