As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
At first bite you’ll love these sweet, light and fluffy Marshmallow Lucky Charm Cupcakes!
These cupcakes are full of Lucky Charms flavor thanks to the ground Lucky Charms cereal incorporated into the dry ingredients. Plus the addition of marshmallow filling and marshmallow flavored frosting it’s like a bite of Lucky Charms cereal in cupcake form!
Marshmallow Lucky Charm Cupcakes
These cupcakes are flavored with Lucky Charms cereal milk, ground up Lucky Charms cereal and a smidge of marshmallow flavoring. And thanks to the reverse creaming method, these cupcakes have a light and tender crumb you’ll love sinking your teeth into.
The marshmallow filling comes together quickly, so be sure to read ahead and have all your ingredients measured and ready to go when you start. You will need a candy thermometer for this recipe.
Fluffy Marshmallow Flavored Frosting
This frosting is smooth, fluffy and sweet. It will harden as it sits so use it as soon as possible once it comes together. You can also cover the surface of the frosting with a damp paper towel to slow down the hardening process if you need to.
- Using a pairing knife, cut out a cone of cake in the center of each cupcake.
- Trim the cone section off of the cone of cake and discard.
- Fit a piping bag with a coupler and fill with marshmallow filling.
- Pipe about 1/2 tablespoon of filling in the center of each cupcake.
- Place the circular piece of cake back on top.
- Use a 3 tablespoon sized spring loaded ice cream scoop to fill each cupcake so they all bake evenly.
- Rotate cupcake pans a little over halfway through baking for even baking.
- Garnish the cupcakes right before serving. The marshmallows will start to lose their texture the longer they sit.
Lucky Charm Cupcake Garnish
- Lucky Charms cereal
- Lucky Charms marshmallows
- Festive sprinkles
- Gold chocolate coins
- Day 1: Bake cupcakes.
- Day 2: Prepare marshmallow filling, make frosting, decorate and serve.
The Cake Chica is on the following social media platforms below. Click subscribe, like and follow! We would love to have you over!
Marshmallow Lucky Charm Cupcakes
Sweet and fluffy Marshmallow Lucky Charm Cupcakes filled with homemade marshmallow filling, topped with marshmallow frosting, cereal marshmallows and a gold chocolate coin.
- 2 12-cup cupcake pans
- Green cupcake liners
- Stand mixer
- 4 cup liquid measuring cup or bowl
- Spring loaded ice cream scoop measuring 3 tablespoons
- Candy thermometer
- Piping bags
- Ateco piping tip #828
- Lucky Charm marshmallows, for garnish
- Gold sprinkles, for garnish
- Gold chocolate coin, for garnish
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup (1.5 ounces/36 grams) Lucky Charms cereal
- 1 1/2 cups (2.25 ounces/54 grams) Lucky Charms cereal, finely processed in a food processor (should equal 1/2 cup ground cereal, discard any remaining grounds)
- 1 2/3 cups (7.5 ounces/ 199 grams) cake flour
- 1 cup (7 ounces/198 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon sized pieces, at room temperature
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon marshmallow flavoring
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 Cereal Milk
- 1/2 cup (3.5 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (32 tablespoons/450 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) shortening
- Pinch of salt
- 6 1/2 cups (26 ounces/820 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon marshmallow flavoring
- Pour the milk over the cereal and let sit for 15 minutes. Strain out the cereal with a sieve and reserve the milk for the cake.
- Adjust an oven rack to the center position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 12-cup cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the ground cereal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the butter into the dry ingredients by tablespoon sized pieces and mix until combined. Mixture should resemble wet sand.
- In a 4 cup liquid measuring cup combine the eggs, vanilla extract, marshmallow flavoring, sour cream and Cereal Milk. Pour half of the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute. Pour the remaining egg mixture into the mixer bowl and mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Don’t over mix.
- Divide the cake batter between the cupcake pans, using a 3 tablespoon sized spring loaded ice cream scoop and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cupcake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let cupcakes cool in their pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, cream of tartar, and water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover the saucepan with a lid and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Uncover the saucepan and continue to boil the sugar until the syrup reaches 242 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- While the sugar syrup is coming to temperature, combine the egg whites and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on low speed, gradually increasing the speed to medium-high speed. Continue to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. If your syrup is close to reaching 242 degrees, continue to whip the eggs whites to firm peaks. If your syrup is not close to reaching temperature then let the egg whites wait at soft peaks before whipping them to firm peaks as the syrup approaches temperature.
- Once the sugar syrup has reaches 242 degrees and the egg whites have been whipped to firm peaks, run the mixer at medium-high speed while slowly pouring the syrup down the inside of the mixer bowl. Continue whipping until the frosting has become thick and holds stiff peaks, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract and marshmallow flavoring and whip to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment attached, beat the butter, shortening and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and marshmallow flavoring and slowly mix until combined, about 1 minute.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes.
- Using a pairing knife, cut out a cone of cake in the center of each cupcake. Trim the cone section off of the cone of cake and discard. This leaves the circular top of the cake to place back on to the cupcake after its filled. Fit a piping bag with a coupler and fill with marshmallow filling. Pipe about 1/2 tablespoon of filling in the center of each cupcake and place the circular flat section of cake back on top.
- Fit a piping bag with Ateco piping tip #828 and fill with frosting. Pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake. Sprinkle each cupcake with gold sprinkles, Lucky Charm marshmallows and a chocolate gold coin and serve.
Assembled cupcakes can be store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1069Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 993mgCarbohydrates: 136gFiber: 6gSugar: 97gProtein: 12g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*