Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs. I earn from qualifying purchases
I couldn’t wait to get in another fun and sweet recipe for the upcoming July 4th holiday. And it’s pretty simple to make. It’s my favorite red velvet cake, topped with the ever-so-perfect cream cheese frosting.
To give it that July 4th feel, I used decorative cupcake liners that came with flag cupcake toppers and topped them with a few flavorful July 4th themed sprinkles.
If you’ve been following me for very long you know how I love to plan. Especially when it comes to baking cakes and that doesn’t change when it come to cupcakes either. I bake the cupcakes the day before I need them. They store well in an air tight container on the counter for up to 2 days. Then, I make the cream cheese frosting the day I plan to serve them.
This way I don’t feel rushed and cleaning up the kitchen isn’t so daunting.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see it! Tag The Cake Chica on Instagram @thecakechica1 #thecakechica1
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion (or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract plus 3 tablespoons red liquid food coloring)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 3 8-ounce packs cream cheese, cut into cubes, at room temperature
- July 4th themed sprinkles, for garnish
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside. Adjust oven racks to the center position and low middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter, sugar, oil and Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 7 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time mixing until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 additions, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, add the baking soda and vinegar and whisk until combined. Quickly add into the cake batter and mix to combine. Divide batter among prepared cupcake pans, about two-thirds full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached; rotating pans twice during baking. Let the cupcakes cool in their pans for about 5 minutes. Then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, lemon juice and salt. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat for 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and add the cream cheese and mix until smooth and combined about 1 minute. Do not over mix or the frosting will become thin.
TIP: If you can’t find superfine sugar, use the same amount of granulated sugar called for in the recipe, plus a few extra tablespoons and place in a food processor. Process until sugar is fine like sand. Then measure out the called for amount in the recipe.
MAKE AHEAD: Unfrosted cake layers can be stored in an air tight cake container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Frosting can be made up to 3 days in advanced and stored in the fridge. Bring frosting to room temperature before using and beat on low speed to soften. Frosting can be stored at room temperature for up to 6 hours.
STORAGE: Assembled cake can be store in the frige for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wilton 2105-6789 Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup, STANDARD, Silver
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
Flag Patriotic Baking Cup Combo Pack 100 ct.from Wilton
Flavored Candy Sprinkles | PATRIOTIC 8oz | Red White and Blue | Perfect for 4th Of July! | MADE IN THE USA!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1225 Total Fat: 66g Saturated Fat: 24g Trans Fat: 3g Unsaturated Fat: 36g Cholesterol: 112mg Sodium: 979mg Carbohydrates: 157g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 117g Protein: 11g
You May Also Like: