This July 4th Cookie Cake is soft, chewy and sweet and would be a festive and fun treat to have at your July 4th picnic. Plus, it’s easy to make!
Cookie Cake Tips
- Set aside a few sprinkles and white chocolate chips to press on top of the cookie dough before baking for a decorative look.
- Make sure you let the cookie cake cool in the pan for at least 2 to 3 hours to set.
- The cookie cake should be completely cooled before adding the frosting.
Vanilla Frosting Tips
- Use sifted powdered sugar for a smooth frosting that’s easy to pipe.
- Gel food color is recommended, as it doesn’t change the texture of the frosting and it’s more concentrated than liquid food coloring.
- Gel food color will continue to darken as it sits.
- TIP: Add more water to the frosting one teaspoon at a time if the frosting seems too stiff to pipe.
Cookie Cake Decorating Tools
You can refrigerate the cookie dough for 2 to 3 days if needed. Once you’re ready to bake, just break up the pieces of dough and press into the baking pan. Assembled cookie cake can sit out at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
July 4th Cookie Cake Baking Schedule
- Day 1: Prepare the cookie dough and bake.
- Day 2: Make the frosting, assemble and serve.
The Cake Chica is on the following social media platforms below. Click subscribe, like and follow! We would love to have you over!
- 9- inch round cake pan
- Nonstick spray
- Stand mixer and/or hand mixer
- Piping bags
- Piping tip (Wilton 1M)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (7 ounces/198 grams)granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups (8.75 ounces/111.5 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup July 4th themed sprinkles
- ¼ cup (2 ounces/57 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (2 ounces/57 grams) vegetable shortening
- 2 cups (8 ounces/226 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- AmeriColor Royal Blue gel food color
- Adjust an oven rack to the center of the oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and spray the sides with nonstick baking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Give the dough a few stirs by hand with a rubber spatula to bring together. Stir in the white chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared cake pan and press a few more white chocolate chips into the top of the cookie. Bake the cookie for 22 to 25 minutes or until the edges start to lightly brown. The center may jiggle slightly, but will firm up while it cools.
- Allow the cookie cake to cool in the cake pan on a wire rack for 2 hours. Once the cookie is cool, invert the cookie onto a cake board or large plate, then invert onto a serving platter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and shortening until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and water and mix until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Add as much or as little gel color to the frosting to achieve your desired color. (NOTE: The color will deepen as it sits.) Fit a piping bag with piping tip 1M and pipe swirls along the edges of the cookie in a decorative fashion. Finish the edges off with a few July 4th sprinkles .
The cookie dough can be made up to 3 days in advanced and stored in the refrigerator. To bake, just break up the dough and press into the cake pan and bake.
STORAGE: Assembled cookie cake can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 201mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*