Yes, this slow cooker pot roast requires you to sear the beef before adding into the slow cooker. Please don’t skip this step! Otherwise, the meat releases too much moisture and will end up steaming in its own juices. Searing the beef adds color and best of all, flavor to the finished dish. Please respect the beef! If you do not have time for this step, then plan in advance and save this recipe for another day when you have more time available.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 3-4 pound boneless, chuck roast, trimmed, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 onions, sliced
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2- to 3–inch pieces
- 3 large celery ribs, cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- ½ cup milk, warmed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Minced fresh chives
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sear the roast on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer the roast to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Stir the flour into the sauté pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute more.
- Deglaze the sauté pan with wine, cooking until the liquid evaporates. Stir in the broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring the mixture to a simmer and scrap up the brown bits.
- Transfer the broth mixture to the slow cooker and add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Cover and cook until meat is fork-tender, on high heat setting for 4-5 hours or on low-heat setting 8-9 hours. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaves before serving.
- Boil potatoes in a pot of salted water until tender about 12-15 minutes and drain. Return the potatoes to the pot and cook, stirring over low heat for 1 minute to remove moisture. Mash potatoes until smooth.
- Stir in milk, butter, peas, salt and pepper and serve immediately. Garnish with fresh chives if you would like.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1082 Total Fat: 73g Saturated Fat: 29g Cholesterol: 209mg Sodium: 292mg Carbohydrates: 49g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 13g Protein: 55g
Adapted from Cuisine at Home