From now on this recipe for Chica’s Queso is what you can call my “house” queso. Here in Texas almost every household has their recipe for queso or cheese dip. It may be the typical recipe found on the Velveeta box or the Rotel can, but for me, that just doesn’t cut it. I normally try to stay away from any processed foods such as Velveeta, hence my love for organic foods, but if you want a super creamy, velvety queso, you really need at least a little bit of Velveeta. With a mix of Monterey Jack cheese, cheddar cheese and Velveeta you get the best flavor and consistency for queso.
Chica’s Queso Tips:
- You can make this ahead of time on the stove top and keep it warm in a slow cooker for easy serving or transport.
- If using a slow cooker to keep the queso warm, be sure to keep an eye on it and stir occasionally.
For more awesome recipes from The Cake Chica be sure to follow on social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. You can also sign up for my monthly newsletter The Monthly Recap where I’ll send an email to your inbox once a month with all the latest recipe links for that month! And as a thank you for signing up you’ll receive my ebook The Cake Chica’s Top 10 Recipes of 2015 with Step-by-Step Photos for FREE. Sign up in the form below this post!
Yield 3 cups
- 1 1/3 cups half and half
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, diced
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco spice blend
In a large saucepan, bring the half and half and Velveeta to a simmer over medium-low heat; stirring until melted, about 5 minutes. Pour in remaining cheeses and whisk until melted and smooth. Add chipotles and taco spice blend and whisk together to combine. Serve right away or keep warm, stirring occasionally until ready to serve.
You may also like: