These Browned Butter Chocolate Candy Cookies may look like your average chocolate chip cookie but they are not! The browned butter provides an amazing toffee flavor. So if your palate is more on the sophisticated side, I recommend you give these cookies a try. They might just become your new favorite recipe for the all american chocolate chip cookie!
Letting the browned butter, sugars and eggs sit for a few minutes not only helps the toffee flavor develop, but also helps to achieve those crispy edges and chewy centers.
The beautiful colors in this cookie got me thinking about Thanksgiving. Yes, Thanksgiving will be here before you know it and it’s never too early to start planning your Thanksgiving menu! And I think these Browned Butter Chocolate Candy Cookies would go perfectly on your Thanksgiving table this year.
Follow The Cake Chica on social media here: Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
You May Also Like:
Snicker’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie
Confetti Cookie Cake
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
Browned Butter Chocolate Candy Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies made with browned butter, chocolate candy and toffee bits.
- Baking sheet
- Rubber spatula
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 10 ounces candy coated chocolate candy pieces
- 1/3 cup toffee bits
- Adjust an oven rack to the center position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda and set aside.
- In a stainless steel 10-inch skillet, melt 10 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Cook swirling the pan until the butter has turned dark golden brown and has a nutty fragrance, about 3 minutes. Transfer browned butter to a large heatproof bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and stir until melted.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla to the melted butter and whisk until combined. Add egg and egg yolk and continue to whisk until smooth and no sugar lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Let the mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for another 30 seconds. Repeat this process of resting and whisking 2 more times, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- With a rubber spatula, stir in the dry ingredients until combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate candy and toffee bits until evenly distributed.
- Roll 3 tablespoons of cookie dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown and the edges have set, but the centers are still soft, about 12 to 15 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Remove baking sheet from the oven and let cookies set on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat this process with remaining cookie dough.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 0gSugar: 31gProtein: 3g
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*