These blueberry muffins have a swirl of simple homemade blueberry jam in the middle, providing the best of both worlds; intense blueberry flavor and a burst of fresh blueberries. For the finishing touch, add the Lemon Sugar Topping for a crisp and irresistible crust.
In order to get the benefit of the crunchy shell provided by the sugar topping, it’s best to eat these the same day they are made.
Blueberry Swirl Muffins
LEMON SUGAR TOPPING
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups blueberries, divided
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
LEMON SUGAR TOPPING
- Stir the sugar and lemon zest until combined and set aside.
- Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Bring 1 cup of blueberries and 1 teaspoon sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, mashing blueberries with a spoon several times stirring often to break down the berries. Cook until the mixture is thickened and reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10-12 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk 1 1/8 cups sugar and eggs together in a medium bowl until combined. Slowly whisk in the butter and oil until combined. Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla extract until combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg mixture and remaining 1 cup of blueberries into the flour mixture until just moistened. Do not over mix.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon, divide batter evenly among your prepared muffin pan. Batter should completely fill the cups and mound slightly at the top. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the blueberry jam onto the center of each mound of batter. Using a skewer, gently swirl the blueberry jam into the batter using a figure-eight motion. Sprinkle the tops with the lemon sugar topping.
- Bake until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 17 to 19 minutes, rotating the muffin pan halfway through baking. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 5 more minutes before serving.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 467 mg
Total Carbohydrates 49 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 29 g
Protein 4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated