My weekends are usually crazy-busy so slow cooker meals like these Slow Cooker Barbacoa Tacos are a great option to get in a great meal while working on my weekend chores.
I recommend making this recipe on a weekend because you do have a little prep work before it goes in the slow cooker. You’ll need to brown the meat before putting it in the slow cooker, but I promise it will be worth the extra step to do this. Don’t skip out on getting as much flavor in as possible!
With so many great toppings to add to your Slow Cooker Barbacoa, I decided to keep it simple and added a little homemade crema, pico de gallo and lime. You have to have fresh limes on tacos over here in Texas, you just gotta!
I like to use La Tortilla Factory tortillas if you can’t get them homemade. Plus they have many healthy options as well.
Adapted by Mary Hatton from La Tortilla Factory
- La Tortilla Factory Barbacoa Sauce Starter
- Slow cooker
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 ounces La Tortilla Factory Barbacoa Sauce Starter
- 1 cup organic sour cream
- 1 cup organic heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh lime juice
- 8 La Tortilla Factory tortillas
- Queso fresco
- Pico de gallo
- Rest beef on the counter for 30 minutes. Liberally salt and pepper the meat.
- In a large skillet, set over medium-high heat, brown meat on all sides.
- Place meat in a slow cooker. In a small bowl whisk together the water and Sauce Starter until smooth. Pour over the meat. Cover and cook on high for 8 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, heavy cream and salt. Cover the bowl and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Remove meat from the slow cooker and shred.
- Heat tortillas in a microwave until warm or heat over a gas burner and char on both sides of each tortilla.
- Place barbacoa on tortilla and spoon a little of the left over juice in the slow cooker on top. Top with your choice of toppings and homemade crema. Enjoy.
Let crema sit covered at room temperature for about 2 hours before serving.
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary. Estimate does not include fresh toppings.*
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1027 Total Fat: 67g Saturated Fat: 31g Cholesterol: 105mg Sodium: 1913mg Carbohydrates: 104g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 6g Protein: 66g
You May Also Like: