Adapted from American Heart Association Low-Salt Cookbook
I know the half and half isn’t in the approved foods list in my current training program I am doing but spinach is!!!! Parmesan cheese isn’t either (I am not getting off to a good start here on the nutritional side of my program) but oh who cares? This spinach is too delicious.
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium shallots
- ½ cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Herb Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 18 ounces fresh spinach
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the half and half, Parmesan and flour. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Cook the shallots for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender and crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach in batches. Toss with gently to coat the spinach. Bring to a simmer, over medium high heat. Cook until all spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the reserved half and half mixture into the spinach mixture. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 253mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g