Toss out that box of chocolate cake mix! You won’t need it after making this Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake!
This cake is moist and fluffy, with a deep chocolatey frosting. You’ll want to get your glass of milk ready for this one.
What I love most about this cake is how easy it is to make. Seriously!!! You don’t even need to turn on your mixer for this one. And not only is it easy to make, but it tastes heavenly too.
The rich and silky chocolate frosting is also easy to make, but does need a few hours to set up. Trust me, your patience will be rewarded!
Adapted from Cuisine At Home
- 2 8-inch round cake pans
- Non-stick baking spray
- 4 cup liquid measuring cup
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups hot water
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Adjust an oven rack to the center position. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 8-inch round cake pans with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a 4 cup liquid measuring cup add vegetable oil, vinegar, instant coffee, vanilla extract and hot water and whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. A few lumps are okay. Divide batter between prepared cake pans and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let cakes cool in their pans for 5 minutes on a cooling rack. Then invert onto the cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add in sugar, cocoa and salt. Stir to combine. Mixture will be grainy.
- In a 4 cup liquid measuring cup, add heavy cream, sour cream and instant coffee and whisk until smooth. Reduce the heat to medium-low and slowly add the cream mixture to the chocolate and stir to combine. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth, about 8 minutes. Do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla extract. Let frosting cool at room temperature until spreadable, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Trim off cake domes that may have formed during baking to create a flat and even surface on each of the cake layers. Place one of the cake layers (cut side up) on a serving plate and spread about ¾ cup frosting on top. Leave about ½-inch from the edge free of frosting. Place second cake layer on top (cut side down) and spread remaining frosting on top and down the sides of the cake. Enjoy.
Frosting maybe be chilled until completely cold, then rewarmed gently in a microwave until spreadable. Heat at high power for 20 second intervals, stirring well after each interval.
Cake Storage: Cake can be stored in an air tight cake container for 3 days at room temperature..
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1080 Total Fat: 52g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 29g Cholesterol: 89mg Sodium: 674mg Carbohydrates: 145g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 96g Protein: 10g
You May Also Like: