Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I have used all the products and recommend them because they are helpful and are companies I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using those products. Thank you for supporting The Cake Chica website.
Here’s one for those that like to meal prep. Easy Baked Brown Rice. It may not be quick like those 5 minute boxes of rice but it’s definitely worth the baking time. I won’t make brown rice any other way from now on. I usually make this on a Sunday and use it throughout the week for my egg white breakfast bowl.
Brown rice should have nutty flavor with more texture that’s slightly sticky and a bit more chewy than white rice. Here are some benefits to baking your rice:
- Baking allows the rice to cook more gently and evenly, reducing the risk of burning your rice. Cooking rice on the stove top can sometimes lead to burned rice on the bottom of your pan.
- Baking your rice also allows you to use less water. Most stove top methods have you add more water to prevent scorching your rice but this just makes your rice soggy and over cooked.
Adding boiling water to your rice helps to keep the cooking time to 1 hour, versus using cold tap water. Plus using a tight seal on top of the baking dish is super important.
Be sure to flavor your rice before it goes into the oven. A little bit of fat and salt will help keep the rice nice and fluffy! And lastly, once the rice comes out of the oven, be sure to fluff to separate the grains and then cover it with a clean dish towel to absorb the moisture. This keeps the moisture from going back into your rice.
That’s all I have for you this week. Want to know what’s coming up next week before anyone else? Subscribe to The Weekly Recap, where I send an email to your inbox once a week (usually on Sunday) with the latest recipe link, a sneak peek into what’s coming up next week, and sometimes some behind the scenes information. You can also follow me on social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. Talk with you next week!
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread rice in an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Bring water and butter to a boil, covered in a medium sauce pan. Once the water is boiling immediately stir in salt and pour water over the rice in the baking dish. Tightly cover the dish with two layers of aluminum foil. Transfer the baking dish to the oven and bake for 1 hour, until the rice is tender.
- Remove the rice from the oven, uncover and fluff rice with a fork. Cover the dish with a clean kitchen towel to catch the moisture and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and let rice stand for another 5 minutes and serve.
All nutritional information is approximate and will vary according to brands used.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 194mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 3g Protein: 3g
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook.