- 1 cup chopped, peeled Granny Smith apple
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion, divided
- 1 teaspoon (or more) fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 2-3 pound rotisserie chicken, skin discarded and meat shredded
- 4-6 lime wedges
- Combine apple, ¼ cup cilantro, 2 tablespoons onion, and 1 teaspoon lime juice in a small bowl, toss to coat. Set apple salsa aside.
- Combine remaining onion, bell pepper, and oil in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until completely softened, 6-7 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder, ground coriander and cumin; stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, beans and Serrano pepper, bring to a boil.
- Simmer briskly, mashing some of the beans with the back of a spoon and stirring often, until sauce is thickened, 8-10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and more lime juice, if desired.
- Divide rice and beans among plates. Top with some chicken and apple salsa. Garnish with remaining ¼ cup cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 884Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 187mgSodium: 1904mgCarbohydrates: 87gFiber: 16gSugar: 9gProtein: 64g