I remember years ago when I made the decision to start eating cleaner I started reading the ingredients lists of every packaged product I planned on buying. As I went to grab the “healthy” Italian dressing I always loved so much, and just out of curiosity (not thinking I was going to find anything bad) I turned the bottle around and saw a bunch of ingredients that were not very “clean”. I was pretty disappointed, but I discovered that making homemade salad dressings is affordable, easy, quick, and tastes so much better than the bottled stuff.
This dressing pairs great with iceberg or romaine lettuce. Toss in some grape tomatoes, thinly sliced onion and some real bacon bits and you have a meal.
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Puree avocado, lime juice and hot sauce in a food processor until the avocado is broke down, about 30 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients and process until the dressing is completely smooth. (The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.)
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated