Lately I have been seeing a lot of recipes for spiralizers on Pinterest. I usually just scroll right past them since I don’t have one (sad face). At first I thought I might have to miss out on all those veggie noodles. But I remembered I once made a recipe with zucchini noodles; before the trend of spiralizing your veggies was popular. It was in an old Fitness Rx For Women magazine. So I started doing some digging and there it was, in my June 2012 issue. I put it on the meal plan as fast as I could and viola, lightened up Chicken Parmesan with Zucchini Noodles was on my plate. No spiralizer needed! I do recommend a good vegetable peeler to make peeling the zucchini a breeze. I like the Titan vegetable peeler . I’ve had mine for about 2 or 3 years now and it’s just as sharp as the first day I used it. I once used my old vegetable peeler since my Titan was in the dishwasher, never again. I got my Titan out of the dishwasher and life was simple again.
Chicken Parmesan with Zucchini Noodles
Yield 4 servings
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 organic chicken breast, about 1 ½-2 pounds total, halved
- 1 pound organic zucchini, cut into long thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 15-oz can diced tomatoes, I like Muir Glen Organic No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour with 1 teaspoon each of dried basil, dried oregano and garlic powder. Salt and pepper chicken on both sides and dredge the chicken in the flour mixture coating each side.
- Heat oil in large oven proof skillet on medium-high heat. Brown chicken breast on each side, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside. Add zucchini strips and 1/3 cup water to the skillet. Cover with a lid to steam for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove zucchini and set aside. Drain excess water if needed.
- Add diced tomatoes, remaining seasonings and chicken to the skillet and mix to combine. Add 2 tablespoons mozzarella and 1 tablespoons Parmesan cheese to each chicken breast. Stick under a broiler until the cheese has melted and is nicely browned.
- Place zucchini on a plate and top with chicken and tomato sauce.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 155 mg
Sodium 427 mg
Total Carbohydrates 33 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Sugars 12 g
Protein 67 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.