Broccoli is not my favorite thing to eat, but slather some cheese on top and it becomes my favorite side dish! Pairs well with meatloaf, or anything else you can think of.
Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
- 2 pound broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets with about 2 inches of stem attached
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard mixed with 1/2 tablespoon water
- 6 ounces sharp or mild white cheddar
- Kosher salt
- In large, deep saucepan bring 1 inch of water to boil. Fill steamer basket with broccoli, add to saucepan, cover, and steam over high heat until broccoli is crisp and tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer broccoli to platter.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and whisk over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add milk and cream. Cook whisking until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add mustard and cheese and cook over low heat until the cheese is melted. Season sauce with salt and serve with broccoli.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 81 mg
Sodium 320 mg
Total Carbohydrates 16 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 16 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Adapted from Food and Wine