I must admit I love boxed brownie mixes. I have tried several homemade brownie recipes and most just don’t compare to box brownies in my opinion. But every now and again I get the urge to try a new homemade brownie recipe and low and behold every now and again one makes the cut! Like this one. I can remember off the top of my head 2 homemade brownie recipes that I love and this is one of them. Ok make that 3 I just remembered this healthier version of a brownie, you can check out that recipe here.
Mocha Almond Brownies
- Non-stick vegetable spray
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounce semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray a 13x9x2 inch metal baking pan with nonstick spray. Line with parchment paper, extending over 2 long sides of the pan. Spray paper. Stir chocolate and butter in a heavy small saucepan over low heat until melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract in a medium bowl until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the chocolate mixture; beat just until blended. Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt; beat just until blended. Stir in the sour cream and almonds.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 35 minutes. Transfer the pan to a rack; cool completely. Fold down the parchment paper. Cut the brownies into squares. And sprinkle with powdered sugar if you’d like.