You may never buy those store bought graham crackers again after having these Homemade Graham Crackers!
These are great if you’re looking for a bit of a cleaned up version of a graham cracker. I love graham crackers and I used to eat them as a “healthy” snack, that was until I read the ingredients list. I was a shocked at all the chemicals used to make a cracker. I mean its just a cracker right?
Thankfully I came across this homemade version with simple ingredients you can pick up at your local grocery store.
Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup untoasted wheat germ
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Whisk together the flours, wheat germ, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Fit an electric mixer with the paddle attachment and on medium speed beat the butter, brown sugar and honey until pale and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and divide into quarters. Roll out each piece between two sheets of floured parchment paper into rectangles a little larger than 9 x 6-inches and about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a fluted pastry wheel or pizza cutter, trim the edges of each rectangle, and divide into three 6 x 3-inch rectangles by just scoring (not cutting all the way through) the dough. Then score each piece in half horizontally and vertically to form four 3 x 1-inch crackers. Stack parchment and dough on a baking sheet and chill in the freezer until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Remove two sheets of dough from the freezer. Pierce crackers using a fork. Transfer to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 8 minutes, rotating halfway through baking. Repeat with the remaining dough. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring crackers to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1 cracker
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 50mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
You May Also Like: