I love how gorgeous this dish is. Sometimes savory foods don’t always look beautiful, but not this one! From a photography point of view I find it challenging to take photos of savory dishes. I usually have to take a little more time and prep work to get a shot I like. But this one was so easy. The colors really stand out and simply look lovely. I was equally as pleased when I took my first bite! Then again what’s not to love about chicken wrapped in prosciutto? Next, top it off with the crisp asparagus to add a touch of freshness. Serve it up with some garlic bread and you’ve got dinner!
- 1 pound thick asparagus, tough ends removed
- 4 chicken breast, about 8 ounces each, pounded to ¼ inch thickness
- 16 fresh sage leaves
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for dusting
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup sweet wine, such as Riesling
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Cook the asparagus in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until crisp and tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water; drain and pat dry.
- Feel free to sprinkle the chicken breast with some freshly ground black pepper. I decided not to salt the chicken since I felt the prosciutto was salty enough. Place 4 sage leaves on each chicken breast. Wrap each chicken breast with 2 slices of prosciutto, pressing to adhere. Spread the flour in a shallow dish. Dredge the chicken in flour, dusting off the excess; then transfer to a baking dish.
- Set a rack over a baking sheet and heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet. And add 2 of the chicken breast and cook over medium-high heat, turning once until golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the rack. Repeat the process with the remaining olive oil and chicken breast.
- Add the sweet wine and stock to the skillet boil over medium-high heat until the liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the butter. Pour half of the sauce into a bowl. Add half of the chicken and asparagus to the skillet and cook over medium heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Season with a little salt if you would like; stir in half of the parsley. Transfer the chicken and asparagus to plates and pour the sauce on top. Repeat with the remaining sauce, chicken, asparagus and parsley.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 164mgSodium: 812mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 47g
Adapted from Food and Wine April 2014