I was so excited to see a dessert book by Nick Malgieri called Perfect Light Desserts in my local library. I checked it out and couldn’t wait to try out some of the recipes. The first one I tried was this one for Banana Loaf Cake. I had over ripe bananas on hand so it was a perfect choice.
I try to eat as healthy as I possibly can by eating clean foods. But I love baking so it’s hard not to indulge sometimes. All the recipes in Perfect Light Desserts are all under 300 calories per serving. Hope you enjoy and happy baking!!!
- 2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour (spoon flour into dry-measure cup and level off)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 5 large, very ripe bananas, mashed, then measured)
- One 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, sprayed with vegetable cooking spray and the sprayed surface coated with fine, dry bread crumbs.
- 2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour (spoon flour into dry-measure cup)
- Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites to break them up, then whisk in the granulated sugar and the brown sugar.
- Whisk in the butter and vanilla, followed by the mashed bananas.
- Sift the flour mixture over the banana mixture and thoroughly fold it in.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for about 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then unmold it and cool completely on a rack.
SERVING: This cake is excellent unadorned, or it can be spread with a little-low fat cream cheese.STORAGE: Keep the cake wrapped in plastic at room temperature after it has cooled; For longer storage, double-wrap and freeze for up to a month. Defrost and bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 34
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 228mg Carbohydrates: 56g Fiber: 2g Protein: 5g