Strawberry Cinnamon Cake
How about this Strawberry Cinnamon Cake for something a little different? It’s a homemade cake baked with fresh strawberries inside each cake layer. Then, the cake is frosted with a ganache based strawberry buttercream, and decorated with freshly sliced strawberries with a piped tear drop pattern on the top of the cake.
The Importance of Room Temperature Ingredients
For ingredients such as butter, buttermilk and eggs I like to make sure they are from about 65 – 70 degrees before baking with them. If your ingredients are cooler or warmer it can produce a cake that is heavy or gummy. You can use a digital thermometer to check the temperature of your ingredients before using.
Strawberry Ganache Buttercream
Here is a unique way to get lots of chocolate flavor in your buttercream, by combining a chocolate ganache with butter. I’ve added a strawberry liquour to the ganache to add an extra punch of strawberry flavor. Any berry flavored liquour would be great in this recipe. You can also leave out the liquour all together and replace it with a strawberry extract.
Cake Assembly Tips
- Set aside about 1 1/2 cups buttercream and place in a piping bag for decorating the top of the cake.
- Start with a lot of frosting on your cake, covering and smoothing it out and removing excess buttercream as you go.
- If you find yourself running low on buttercream, remember the top will be covered with strawberries and reserved buttercream so you can put a light covering of frosting on the top.
- I prefer to use a straight round coupler for my “piping tip”. Be sure to use one that is straight and not one that has the notches in it.
- Reserve the best looking strawberries from your bunch for the top of the cake.
Plan It Out
Day 1: Bake the cake layers. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in an air tight cake container in the refrigerator.
Day 2: Prepare the fresh strawberry garnish, buttercream and assemble.
You May Also Like
Adapted from Death by Chocolate Cakes by Marcel Desaulniers
STORAGE: Cake can be stored in a cake keeper in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving. *Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*
CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 794Total Fat: 64gSaturated Fat: 38gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 573mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 11g
STORAGE: Cake can be stored in a cake keeper in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.*